Direct response advertising is a form of communication which intends to drive immediate sales or traffic. We all come across various ads on a daily basis with the use of phrases such as "Shop now”, “Call now”, “Fill the form”, etc. This is what we are talking about. A coupon mailer too is a tactic for direct response. Here, the idea is an immediate call to action. It could also target a niche group of customers who are presented with a special offer based on their unique needs or situations. Initially, it was based mostly on direct mail but these days almost any media can be considered direct response advertising.
1. It is easier to track which ad and media were responsible towards generating a response. On the contrary, it is not so in mass media or brand marketing where no one ever knows what must have made the customer buy your product.
2. Now that one is aware which ads are being responded to and the sales received from each one, you can measure exactly how effective each ad is. You can later change the ad based on your analysis as to what is working or not.
3. It has a compelling message of strong interest for the target audience along with a strong sales copy and a great headline. It will give you the feel of an editorial and less of an ad.
4. Customers residing in a specific geographic zone, age group, gender or behavioural pattern etc are targeted. The motive lies in reaching out to people who actually need it and narrow down the list.
5. These ads usually have a special discount, offer or some kind of an interesting deal. The aim isn’t to only sell but rather to make the customer take an action.
6. The focus of the offer is mainly on the prospect rather than the advertiser and it talks more about the prospect’s likes, fears, interests, desires, and frustrations.
7. Prospects that are highly interested and are at a higher probability of actually buying, they are the ones who have easy ways to respond like by using a regular phone number, a website, a free recorded message line, coupons and a reply card.
8. When the prospect comes across something interesting and responds, the process is to capture as much information of the person as we can. This helps in contacting them later on or for future purpose
9. Since the prospect would be sharing a lot of details, it is quite obvious that he/she should be given an attractive and enticing offer related to the deal or offer. Lastly, by using various platforms like mail, phone, and fax etc a follow-up should be performed. Though, every offer has quantity or time limit attached to it.
10. At times, despite your efforts there can be prospects that will not turn as immediate buyers but that doesn’t mean you should totally ignore them. You have to continue with new ideas and techniques and make sure that they hear from you frequently which could be from once, twice or maybe several times a month.
Here, we will discuss various direct response advertising examples which can be used to drive traffic.
This was one of the first forms of direct response advertising. It includes newsletters, catalogues, sales letter, and brochures. It is one of the most effective and profitable ways to reach out to new and existing clients. The biggest advantage of using a direct mail is that it lets you get one-on-one with the target audience. It also allows one control who receives the message sent by you, when it gets delivered, the no of people you reach and what is in the envelope.
Radio, Television and Print Advertising
Television, Print, and Radio are quite powerful in communicating the message as well as their reach. In television, it is in the form of commercials, infomercials, and home shopping networks. The time range varies from 30 seconds to 30 minutes depending on it being short or long form. Coming to radio, the ads have a call to action connected to it with a web URL or a toll-free number. It can be tracked based on orders, calls, leads, revenue, sales, and profits earned by airing of ads. While in print, the ads are in the form of a coupon, a toll-free number or a QR code which can be scanned by a mobile phone.
Do you need to communicate to a larger audience? Marriage Mail/Shared Mail is the perfect way to present your message with less expense as compared to regular postage. One can also insert the printed piece into any newspaper of their choice.
Direct Response Internet Marketing
It isn’t an exaggeration to say that the world is a small place. You can be living in any corner, any place across the world and still be able to drive traffic to your website. The traditional means of advertising can send traffic towards your website or one can directly do that through Search Engine Optimisation.
Telemarketing for Direct Response
Marketers have been using this technique since ages to reach out to their customers and even to the potential ones who have yet not made the decision to buy.
With the help of the various direct response media, one can easily reach their target audience without much trouble. Choose the one that best suits your purpose. Direct response advertising is undoubtedly one of the most effective ways of selling. This form of marketing focuses on the problems of the prospects and then helps in solving them. A lot of Start-up firms are using it as it is affordable and one of the best medium to reach the customers. You get to know the exact response of the target audience and that too at a quite rapid rate.
Hope, you enjoyed reading this article. Tell us your experience of using direct response advertising. Which one did you like? Mention the ones that worked and those that didn’t. For any doubts or queries, feel free to ask in the comments section below. Do not forget to subscribe to our newsletter and share it on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and LinkedIn.