The term ‘meta description’ can seem quite confusing and technical for someone who handles a small business or is a nascent entrepreneur. For a student wanting to earn some money online, a lady considering a passion as a mean to earn a profit or an elderly man exploring opportunities in a small business can’t really be expected to know all about meta descriptions. It might seem no less than rocket science but in reality, it isn’t.
A meta description is a short paragraph that is placed in the HTML of a webpage which describes the searcher regarding the content of the page. It is also referred to as a snippet and appears under the page’s URL in the search results.
Through this information, people get a glimpse of the article. You can see few words in bold on a meta description. These are the words which match the search term. Let’s know more about its importance.
Following are the top 3 reasons which signify the crucial role played by meta descriptions in your business site:
1. It Helps to Drive Organic Traffic:
While searching online, one types few keywords and goes through the first few results quickly. People don’t read each and every word that is present on the search result page. The most relevant and important words should always be included in the meta description. This would lead to more bold words as well as appear on the top in the search result. The more the words are close to the search, the more chances of attracting users to click on your website’s link. Although there is nothing to prove that meta descriptions do have any direct impact on a website’s ranking on search pages but it certainly plays a huge role in influencing the users to click through a site.
2. Acts as Social Media Influencers:
Meta information is not just restricted to search engines. One can see on social sites such as Facebook which does display the description of a web page when it is shared on the network. In case the page doesn’t have a meta description, Facebook picks the first few lines of the content and uses it as a description text.
It might sound logical to an extent but it can turn out wrong or worthless as well. Either it can depict a completely different meaning that the website never intended to portray or depict something that is nowhere close to the keywords/terms that the user might be using. Hence, it is better to have your own meta description to save yourself from any trouble and being misunderstood.
3. A Form of Sales Pitch:
As one steps into the world of Google’s results page, your website would have to compete with hundreds of other websites. With the attention span of the user limited to few seconds, he/she quickly has a glance and within seconds decides which one to click. This is where the meta description can completely change your game. It is what would help you sell your product or service in the best possible way, just like a sales pitch.
Given below are a few tricks to keep in mind:
1. Do stick to a limit of 160-characters. Be precise and try to use as much of relevant words rather than those really long descriptions. At the end of the day, they would anyhow get cut off and you will not be able to put across the right message.
2. You should also remember that the description should consist of complete sentences. Don’t keep stuffing a lot of keywords in your description which make no sense. Eventually, you will not be able to attract visitors. You could also be flagged by Google.
3. Do repeat your key phrase. Google highlights phrases that match the query, the more the bolded words in your description, the stronger your chances of attracting users.
4. By adding a phone number is the best way to attract traffic. This will help you to repeat visitors and users who would want to get contact details easily.
5. Rather than an amateur or doing it yourself, hire a content writer who is a professional can give you better meta description and web content. They know the right words and the way to put up the perfect content which attracts traffic.
Meta descriptions are a great chance to gain huge traffic. Many businesses are unable to understand the potential of meta descriptions and end up missing on huge opportunities. Make sure to create descriptions which are engaging and force the user to choose you over your competitors.
Tell us your experience with meta descriptions. Did the above-mentioned points help you? Were there any issues? For any questions or comments, feel free to share them below.