With the increasing demand of the online industry, the importance of Google is moving leaps and bounds. Everybody wants to be on the top results of Google and the worst part is the limited space for advertisers. This is where Google AdWords come into limelight and its optimisation becomes crucial. This post will help you to understand how to setup a perfect text ad in AdWords search network campaign.
1. Google Ad words:
It is a paid program by Google, through which advertisers advertise on Google property and its partner properties. So, if a person clicks on these advertisements, the advertisers have to pay to Google for those clicks.
2. Google Search Network:
It is a group of search related websites and apps where your ad can appear.
3. Text Ad:
It is a form of marketing communication which is used by advertisers to promote their product or service on the Google Network.
4. How to create Text Ads in Search Network:
Login in to Adwords Account:
One has to Log in to a Google Adwords account with your email id and password. It will redirect you towards a dashboard. Here, you will see a red color campaign button just like it is shown in the given below image.
Click on Red Color Campaign Button and Select Search Network Only:
Click on the red color button which will in turn pop up with multiple options like Search Network Only, Search Network with Display etc. Select Search Network as given in the image below.
Keep in mind to create separate, search and display campaigns rather than combining them because both the networks behave in a completely different manner. Hence, separate campaigns will lead to better understanding. It will help in better optimization as well as to gain more insights about your campaigns too.
5. Selecting Campaign Settings:
1. You should always select the ‘All features’ option ( This gives extra features as compared to the standard )
2. Look for conventional campaign names. For e.g. suppose the product to be promoted is a Digital Marketing Company providing services in different Indian cities. For now, let’s take the name of the company Search Engine Times. In case, if you aren’t involved with any specific city or state wise campaign running at that time, then the naming structure will be as follows:
SET (Search Engine Times) (Project Name) + Digital Marketing (Campaign Type)
3. On the other hand, if the running campaign is state or city wise then its naming structure will be as follows. Let’s suppose it is in Delhi.
SET (Search Engine Times) (Project Name) + Digital Marketing (Campaign Type) + Delhi (State/City)
4. Load setting: Until and unless you are an expert, it would be better to avoid this setting. Those who have successful campaigns to their name and are pro in it can definitely give it a try.
5. Network type: It’s entirely your decision and calling. If you still ask me, I will suggest you to select both. This will give you an idea, if you might get any conversion from partner network or not. After you are sure that you will get the conversion, only then continue or else uncheck search partner button.
6. Devices: Just leave it as it is. You can take the decision after a few days, regarding which device you should invest more and on which a little less.
7. Location: Select the cities, countries and states where you would be interested to run your campaign. Those looking for a more a specific radius around their location can explore the ‘Nearby’ option.
8. Targeted Location options: These setting are completely dependent upon your requirements. Like, I would want to show my ads only to those people who are physically located in Delhi at that time. Hence, I will choose the 2nd option which is ‘People in my targeted location’ otherwise I will select the 1st option.
9. Languages: This too, depends on your requirement. If you are running a campaign on a specific language like German, Spanish, Russian etc, you can create them in these languages or go with English.
10. Bid Strategy:
- One should always select it as Manual CPC
- And later uncheck as Enhance CPC
- Default Bid: It is the estimated bid which you are willing to pay. Say, you are interested to pay maximum amount of 60INR. For those who aren’t Indian or are unaware, INR is nothing but Indian rupee notes. So, if you are staying in the US then the amount will become 1USD=60INR.
- Budget: Each to his own. You have to decide the budget based on your requirement and the amount you can afford.
- Delivery Method: Standard is the best and right way for delivery method. So, you can leave it the way it is.
2. Ad extensions: keep in mind to add at least two ad extensions in the ads. This will make your ad bigger, attractive and broader.
Given below link will help you to create ad extensions on your ad words campaigns.
If you still want to see how it looks like, check out the screenshot for a better idea.
6. Advance setting:
i) Schedule: Once you click on it, you will find Start date, end date, ad scheduling options. The ads can be scheduled to appear on specific hours/days by using these settings.
ii) Ad delivery and Ad rotation: In the beginning, I would suggest you to leave it as it is and later when you get the data you can test the conversion rate and compare the cost.
iii) Dynamic Search Ads and Campaign URL options (advance) – Leave the option as it is, do not try and change anything.
iv) Then click on save and continue. It will take you to the ad group creation page as given below.
7. Ad Group:
1. An adgroup is almost like a folder within a Google Ad words campaign. It contains one or more ads which actually target a shared set of keywords.
2. Give it a conventional name like SET- Digital Marketing ADG. Here “SET” stands for Search Engine Times and “ADG” for ad-group.
3. How to create it?
- While we create text ads, we don’t necessarily need to change the text button.
- The final URL is where people reach after clicking your ad. Put that very carefully.
- Your heading and description should definitely cover your targeted keyword.
- Ad URL options (advance): Do not plan to do anything with this option. Leave this option just the way it is.
- Keyword Selection: If there isn’t any budget issue then I would recommend people to use keyword match type which is “Broad Modifier” otherwise go with the combination of “Exact and Phrase Match”.
The main reason to recommend broad match modifier is that you can get a huge number of converting keywords which will help you in your future campaigns.
The screen shot attached below will help you to understand how to place broad modifier keywords in campaigns. You can carry out a more detailed keyword research with the help of some paid and free keyword research tools such as: Google keyword planner, SEM Rush etc.
- Default Bid: You can start off by the amount we had mentioned earlier that is “60INR” or “1USD”.
- Advance Setting: Leave the setting as it is. No need to do anything here.
- Last Step - Then click on the option ‘Save ad group’.
When you click on the option ‘Save ad group’, it will take you to a different page where you have to optimize your keyword bid to get better result at a lesser cost.
Let’s take the given below image as an example. While creating the campaign, we had set our default max CPC Bid as 60 INR which means this is the maximum amount which one is willing to pay for any keyword. As we complete creating the campaign, Google starts suggesting us an estimated first page bid. This suggestion is based as per Google’s internal algorithm. Once we get the first page estimated bid, we need to check if there is a huge gap between max CPC bid and First page estimated bid or not. In case, there is a huge gap, we will have to edit the max CPC for every keyword wherever it is required and lessen or increase as required. Let’s understand this in detail.
In this case, there are two keywords
- 1st keyword: +online +marketing +agency
- 2nd keyword: +internet +marketing +services
We can see in the given below image that the amount suggested by Google for both the keywords is quite less and leads to a huge gap between max CPC bid and estimated first page bid.
Thus, we have to lessen the amount of our max CPC bid for both the keywords to make Google understand that we aren’t willing to pay more than this.
For the 1st keyword: +online +marketing +agency
The new max CPC bid portrays a 5-10% increase from the estimated first page bid. Here, we have changed it to 52INR from the initial 60INR default bid.
For the 2nd keyword: +internet +marketing +services. We have changed it to 35INR from 60INR default bid.
So that Google can charge us a lesser amount.
In 3rd keyword which is +internet +marketing +agency
The estimated first page bid suggested by Google is more than our max CPC Bid i.e. 60INR. Hence, we have to increase our max CPC bid. Here, it has been changed to 75INR from 60INR.
Do remember to set max CPC bid of keywords in the range of 5-10% increase from estimated first page bid in the initial stage then keep analyzing for few more days for better clarity. In case, the keywords do not rank on top positions in these bids, you can increase them.
8. Negative Keyword List:
Now, we come to the last step. Negative keyword is a feature which allows you to exclude terms which are not exactly of any use and rather focus on the ones that are important for customers. You can add this list at the ad group or campaign level as per your comfort zone. Here I will show you how to add negative keyword on campaign level.
9. How to do it?
Go to the campaign on which you would want add like “SET- Digital Marketing Delhi” and then click on “keywords tab”. You will see a negative keyword tab option similar to the way it is done in the given below image.
Step2: After you click on the Negative keywords tab, it will redirect you to a different page where you will be provided with two options for adding the negative keyword. One is at the “Ad group level” and another being “Campaign level”. So click on the red color “+ keywords” tab to add your negative keywords as given below.
Step3: Next, it will ask you for negative keyword list which you wouldn’t want to show yon our ads. Like, I have mentioned few keywords on which I don’t want to show my ads:
These are few keywords which I will not prefer to show like Free, cheap, job, hiring, salary, resume, training, classes, tutorial
Though, you should add as many keywords as possible. This will help you to stop wasting your money on the wrong keyword. Either take help from Google keyword planner or Google by typing ‘negative keyword list’ for more options.
Step 4: Add these keywords, click on save and continue.
By following these steps, you can easily create your search campaign without any difficulty. So, go for it.
Was it easy or were there some issues?
If there are any doubts or questions, please feel free to ask me in the comments section below.
For more similar tips join our newsletter. If you find this article informative, do share it on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and LinkedIn. I hope you will like this post.
Note: You need to monitor your campaigns regularly and figure out the negative keywords. This needs to be done at least weekly through the campaign search terms reports and added to your negative keywords section of your campaign. This will help you save money on wrong keywords.